This position is part of a team responsible for the full range of income development activities for the organization. These activities include grant writing and reporting with public agencies, private foundations and corporations. Specifically, this staff is responsible for writing proposals for projects and submitting timely and accurate reports for all existing grant funded projects.
Principle job responsibilities
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- Identify and develop strategies to optimize the grants administration process
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Work with finance to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation/public funders on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by donors.
- Provide stewardship to current donors, including work with Partnership Director to provide regular written updates (newsletters etc.) to corporate and foundation donors.
- Understanding of institutional history and programs.
- Make appointments for Executive Director and LT members with foundation officers and other prospects, arrange for onsite tours for supporters.
- Maintain current records in database, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship (visitor number and diversity, educational program attendance, etc.).
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
- The minimum educational is a Bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s Degree in business administration is preferred.
- Certifications from recognized institutes with specialized courses in grants management.
Qualifications and experience
- Three plus years’ experience with grant writing.
- Previous experience with non-profit fundraising.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Able to monitor and meet income goals.
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Strong editing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Up to 20% travel may be required to meet with prospective donors and/or partners.
typical physical demands / work environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is seated in an office setting and is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: The work conditions usually take place in an office. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.