The Sr. Director – Global Programming will serve as a critical member of the executive leadership team. In collaboration with the President/Executive Director, s/he will articulate and implement the strategic vision and leadership of OneSight’s mission; oversee a significant portfolio of programs and related services; evaluate the effectiveness of programs to provide ongoing feedback; help to promote and diversify funding through effective resource stewardship and strategic partnership; raise OneSight’s profile through external communications; and provide mentoring, guidance, supervision, and professional development to all programming staff.
The Sr. Director – Global Programming will be responsible for leading the strategic planning and overseeing the execution of all of OneSight’s ongoing programming around the world, which includes OneSight charitable clinics, and sustainable vision center program expansion. The Sr. Director – Global Programming is also expected to be a thought leader in ensuring that the programming evolves to meet the changing needs of solving the global need for glasses. S/he will be a member of the OneSight Leadership Team and will work alongside the other members of the Leadership Team to deliver OneSight’s strategic plans throughout all of our key geographies. The role will be responsible for implementing key initiatives and incorporating any innovations into existing programming. This is an operational role with key strategic thought partnership elements and will require both long-term planning as well as management of on the ground, day to day execution though a global team. As a member of the executive leadership team, this role would be considered long-term as a potential successor to the President/Executive Director.
Principle job responsibilities
Leadership, Staff Management and Organizational Strategy
- In coordination with the President/Executive Director and Leadership Team, play a key role in the overall strategic planning, service delivery, and resource identification to continue expanding programming around the world.
- Manage a global team of programming leaders to deliver the key commitments of both sustainable and charitable programming around the world; ensure clear communication of priorities, alignment of strategies and resources and development of key individuals to optimize the organization.
- Determine staffing plans to achieve program goals and objectives and participate in hiring decisions for new program staff. Deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward organizational goals.
- Create and support a high performing culture in the programming department and cross-functionally with other functions. Develop a team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively toward the team goals, by clearly communicating OneSight’s vision, implementing yearly staff development plans and mentoring.
- Establish annual program and staff goals and objectives and track results against these goals.
- Participate in the budget development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Partner with the Leadership Team to ensure: 1) effective manufacturing, product supply and logistics solutions are in place to meet the programming needs for OneSight around the world; 2) Engagement and Fundraising targets are met and supported through programming strategies and efforts; and 3) sound fiscal and system management through budgeting and monitoring of programmatic operations.
- Lead the development, testing and implementation of any Program-based innovation to improve the performance of programming around the world.
- Represent OneSight on relevant committees and task forces, as well as at speaking engagements, conference panels and trainings.
- Oversee and contribute to the development and execution of a strategic research agenda that supports OneSight’s goals.
Program Oversight and Evaluation
- Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all programs, contracts and related services, promoting collaborative relationships between program areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, constituents, clients, and other stakeholders are consistently met.
- Lead the strategy and execution of the continued expansion of the OneSight sustainable vision center program; this includes the full process of overseeing the strategy of this expansion, developing aligned Memoranda of Understanding with Ministries of Health and other local stakeholders, identifying and building the right local partnerships, rolling out the solution with excellence in execution and transitioning management of the program to the local authorities.
- Lead the implementation of the Charitable Clinic program through the program managers and ensure that the program meets its goals for patients served, glasses dispensed, engagement, fundraising, etc.
- Respond to government and foundation requests for proposals and applications in partnership with development and senior staff; coordinate planning and activities necessary for development of model program designs in response to RFPs and RFAs.
- Ensure the delivery of qualitative and quantitative goals and outcomes of programs and services.
- Coordinate and analyze the appropriate data to inform the programmatic and operational decision making process. Use the existing Salesforce CRM platform to increase OneSight’s efficiency, transparency and collaborative efforts among teams.
- Analyze and assess programs based on data collected and implement corrective measures if required.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BS or BA); equivalent International Degrees also considered
- MBA or Advanced Degree in Healthcare, Public Policy or related field preferred
Qualifications and experience
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility.
- Passion for OneSight’s mission and purpose and an ability to communicate this passion to others.
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a global structure to include professional development and mentorship.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of program planning, organizational structure, budgeting, administrative operations, and fundraising.
- Work experience in developing markets, especially sub-Saharan Africa and South East Asia with demonstrated ability in dealing across cultures with senior management and government leaders
- Able to demonstrate strong skills in both strategy development and operational experience
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning and reporting purposes.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies, including those who do not speak English.
- Strong relationship builder with the ability to find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes-driven and entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of diversity, inclusiveness and empowerment.
- Experience in a nonprofit, international NGO, or philanthropy organization, overseeing multiple programs or contracts, ideally at an organization serving public health or vision needs.
- Significant experience with fundraising efforts, grant submission & management, and/or interactions with top tier foundations or global agencies
- Ability to communicate effectively in multiple languages or with non-English speakers
- Experience in the vision care industry; demonstrated understanding of eye health issues
Approximately 50%-60% travel, domestic and international
Global Headquarters are located in Mason, Ohio (USA), and so the role needs to be located in North America; there is a strong preference for the successful candidate to be located in the headquarters office.
typical physical demands / work environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is seated in an office setting and is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: The work conditions usually take place in an office. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on at “at-will” basis.