Frequently asked questions
(and our answers)
What is OneSight?
We’re an independent nonprofit committed to eradicating the global vision care crisis in our lifetime. Since 1988, OneSight has helped over 9 million people in 46 countries.
What is the global vision care crisis?
OneSight partnered with Deloitte to conduct an extensive study and determined that 1.1 billion people worldwide suffer from vision loss and lack access to vision care. For all of them, vision can be restored with a simple pair of glasses.
What is the OneSight solution?
We establish permanent vision centers and conduct charitable clinics around the world. Learn more about our solution here.
Receiving and Donating Eyewear
What if I or someone I know needs glasses?
Through OneSight’s OnSite Voucher Program, eligible patients can receive glasses free of charge. The patient should:
- Have their visual and financial need verified by a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (such as a school, church, Lions Club, Prevent Blindness, Red Cross, or United Way).
- Obtain a referral letter from the nonprofit (letter should be on company letterhead and include the Tax ID# for the nonprofit).
- Take the referral letter issued by the nonprofit as well as a valid prescription to a participating Luxottica Retail Location (LensCrafters, Target Optical, Sears Optical or Pearle Vision corporate store) to receive a pair of glasses at no charge.
- If the patient does not already have a valid prescription (one that is less than 2 years old) he or she can ask if the onsite doctor at the optical retailer is able to donate an eye exam or they can reach out to Prevent Blindness for assistance.
Can I donate my used eyewear?
While OneSight dispenses 100% new eyewear to patients, we do accept eyewear donations. Donated eyewear is sent to several Lions organizations and is used to support their domestic and international programming.
Small quantities of collected eyewear can be dropped off at your local LensCrafters, Sears Optical or Pearle Vision locations. Large quantities should be shipped at the donor’s expense directly to the eyewear processing center:
Optical Village OneSight Center
9924 International Blvd., Dock 22
Cincinnati, Ohio 45246
Can I volunteer for a OneSight clinic?
Thank you for your interest in OneSight clinics! Currently clinic trip participants are chosen in partnership with Luxottica, the world’s foremost eyewear company. Luxottica employees can log onto my.onesight.org to apply for a clinic trip here. If you are located in a city hosting an upcoming charitable clinic and would like to sign up to participate as a local volunteer click here.
Why don’t you distribute used eyewear?
OneSight believes in giving its very best to those that need it most. This belief led us to evaluate the use of recycled eyewear on Vision Clinics and we discovered:
- Less than 10% of collected eyewear met our strict quality standards
- Only 2 countries on OneSight’s 2013 Clinic schedule allowed the use of refurbished glasses.
Donating to OneSight
My organization raised money for OneSight. Where should I send the check?
Thank you for joining the cause! Please send checks (no cash, please) to:OneSight
P.O. Box 637509
Cincinnati, OH 45263-7509
I’d like to raise money for OneSight. Can you help with my event or campaign?
Individuals can set up fundraising campaigns at my.onesight.org. For events, we are happy to provide the OneSight logo for your use. Printing costs for T-shirts and signage are the responsibility of the event organizer. For more information please contact Meghan Fischer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Providing Access to Care
I’m a social service professional who would like to help those I serve receive access to eyewear. Can OneSight help?
The OneSight voucher program helps meet immediate needs. OneSight’s voucher program partners with local nonprofits like Lion’s Club and Prevent Blindness to establish financial and visual need. Then patients in need are referred to OneSight’s network of participating eye care professionals who provide free eye exams and glasses.
I’m a school nurse. Can OneSight help the kids at my school?
To learn about options for helping your students get access to vision care, please contact Janet Duke at email@example.com.
I’d like to host a OneSight clinic in my country.
Our charitable Vision Clinic schedule is set 1-2 years out and at this time we are not adding locations. OneSight looks at several factors in bringing care to specific regions including visual and financial need, access to vision care, strong in-country partners and the potential to build long-term sustainable projects. We will continue to evaluate and assess other areas to expand OneSight programming.
For Luxottica Employees
Luxottica Employees with further questions can access the Luxottica Employee FAQs through MyOneSight.org. How do I create a MyOneSight Account?
- Go to my.onesight.org
- Click on “Join My OneSight”
- Fill out information to create account